San Francisco, Restaurants

More Birthday Fun!

This time it was for Quyn‘s birthday, not Louie’s. We went to a restaurant called The Stinking Rose, where they “season [their] garlic with food.” I got to meet some of Louie’s other friends (Hi, Mary!) and had a good time.

Firstly I’d like to point out that this place had the most amazing garlic bread I’ve ever had in my life. Oh. My. God. It was SO GOOD. I think I ate like 3 or 4 rolls of it, dipped in their garlic olive oil (which is equally as delicious, I wanted to buy some).

For dinner I ordered the 40 Clove Garlic Chicken, which came with Yukon Gold mashed potatoes. The chicken was on the bone which is not my favorite thing (I have this thing against eating any meat off bones) but it was still good, not dried out at all. The mashed potatoes were really smooth and creamy, and of course garlic-y. LOVED them. I’d probably order the potatoes again as a side dish.

Louie got the “Neon” Ravioli, which we were trying to figure out why they were called neon. (Was it the sauce or are the raviolis neon colored or what?) When he got the plate, nothing was so brightly colored as to be labeled “neon” but the pasta was different colors, so we assume that was what they meant. (I think it could have just been called “Rainbow” or “Three-color” Ravioli.) Besides the debate on the name and the fact that I didn’t get to taste the ravioli for myself (Louie ate it all before I could even think about asking for a bite) I’m told it was very tasty. (The ravioli there is stuffed with potatoes, by the way, not cheese or meat! Mmmm.)

We didn’t try the dessert, but I can see us going back there again and I intend to try it then.

Happy birthday, Quyhn! Hope you enjoyed it.

(This is also posted on Yelp as a review.)

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

• Reply Jennifer May 6, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Awesome! mmmm ravioli stuffed with potatoes! Sounds to good.

• Reply Erica May 7, 2010 at 10:45 am

They totally are. Last night we went to yet another Italian place and I had “potato dumplings” (much smaller than the ravioli but same idea) and it was really yummy. Post about that place to come later today. 🙂

• Reply Carolynne May 6, 2010 at 8:43 pm

That restaurant sounds so delicious! I love garlic so much, so it would be awesome to eat there. I’d have bad breath for a few days after though! LOL. I think one of my co-workers went to SF and went to this restaurant. I remember him telling me about this wonderful garlic restaurant that they visited. I am sure this is it, but I will have to confirm the name with him. It’s also great the the owner was so friendly. It really makes you want to go back when you are so welcomed like that!

Anyway, it’s great to find your blog again. I haven’t visited in ages. Last time I was here, it wasn’t really a blog, just a social networking outlet. Glad to see you are back blogging. I also can’t believe that you left NY! WHOA. What a big step. Congrats. I wish I had the guts to move across the country. Good thing Louis came with you 😀 So what made you decide to move anyway?

• Reply Erica May 7, 2010 at 10:52 am

Yeah—I stopped blogging for almost 2 years. When I got really into Twitter it sort of replaced blogging for me. I’ve started up again to keep friends-and-family informed about what’s up with me since I’ve moved so far away!

And yeah, moving—HUGE step. Thanks for the congrats. 🙂 We decided to move because (1) originally Louie and I were living in separate states and wanted to be closer, and (2) because Louie got a job working at Apple.

• Reply Christina May 10, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I would just love to eat at a place with that name. Sounds like you had some great food. Now I am hungry.

• Reply Erica May 13, 2010 at 10:18 am

Go have some garlic bread?