Food

Coffee

Before I moved to San Francisco, I didn’t drink coffee at all. The few times I tried it, it was regular coffee with some milk and sugar and I didn’t like it… even with a TON of milk and sugar. So I would just order hot chocolate or tea whenever I went to a coffee shop.

However, since moving to San Francisco, I was one day coerced by Jess to try a latte/mocha over lunch one day, so I did… and it’s been downhill from there. I have a latte or a mocha about once a weekday now (so ~5x a week) and I love them. And I’ve tried a bunch of different things at different coffee places

Ironside Cafe
– Vanilla Latte (was a limited addition thing, my first latte ever!)
– Mocha (what I order now)

Starbucks
– Peppermint Mocha (default order)
– Caramel Latte (and it was horrible here)

Ritual Roasters Coffee
– Mocha

Panera
– Caramel Latte

Sightglass
– Mocha (they use a nice, bitter chocolate but I didn’t like it in this drink. I prefer my lattes to be sweet.)

I have yet to try Blue Bottle Coffee, but it’s on my list. Any other places I should go to try coffee? I live in San Francisco, so anything in the Bay Area would be good to suggest.

Previous Post Next Post

8 Comments

• Reply jess January 14, 2011 at 3:49 pm

You might like Four Barrel’s mocha, but then again maybe not – it’s kind of similar to Sightglass’s.

Coffee Bean is a must for a newly-arrived west coaster, and Peet’s is a SF tradition (born in Berkeley). They’re a little more on the Starbucks side of things, but a little less sweet.

• Reply Erica January 14, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I have tried Peet’s at the airport, they didn’t seem too different from Starbucks to me. I’ll add Coffee Bean to my list, never hurts to try!

I want to try more types of tea, too, and I know you have plenty of recommendations for that. 😉

• Reply Matt January 14, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I’m sensing a theme with the sugary tasting Coffee’s ;).

• Reply Erica January 14, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Yes, well, I like my coffees to be sweet and creamy. 🙂

• Reply Carolynne January 15, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Wow, that’s crazy how you were converted! I hate coffee. The taste. The smell. Everything. But who knows, maybe one day I will be converted too. 😛

• Reply Erica January 16, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I hated the very same things about coffee before! If you do end up trying coffee, I definitely suggest getting a Mocha or flavored latte. They’re much sweeter and mask the coffee bean smell.

• Reply Allison Blass January 25, 2011 at 11:55 am

Peet’s is definitely different than Starbucks. Way different. I love Peet’s. I went 4 times when I was in SF in December.

• Reply Erica January 25, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I’ve only had Peet’s twice! Maybe I should go again. There’s one nearby my apartment.