Gaming, World of Warcraft

Back in the Game

If you follow me on Twitter, or know me IRL you probably already know that I used to play World of Warcraft a lot. I had played since January 2008 but decided to quit for a while in early 2011 because I was sick of dealing with the drama that came along with serious raiding guilds. (Which is a whole ‘nother story for another day. Let me know if you’d be interested in a “Why I Quit World of Warcraft” post about it.)

It’s been over a year since then, and I picked the game back up last month after a friend convinced me to give it a shot again. I’m trying to approach it a different way, this time. Previously I was, as mentioned, in hardcore raiding guilds and that was my main focus. This time, especially since it’s late in the expansion, I have avoided raiding guilds. I joined a role-playing guild, and am super excited to get back into playing my character and have been doing so slowly but surely. If you’re interested, I have an in-character journal for her which you can read here: Fire at Dawn.

Role-playing has been a huge hobby of mine since college, when my coworker from the Apple Store introduced me to LARPing. As a writer (I double-majored in Creative Writing as well as Graphic Design in college!) storytelling and character development has always been a huge deal to me, and LARP/role-playing seemed to be a natural, nerdy extension of that. I quite enjoy writing stories based on characters I create. It’s much like fan fiction, I suppose, except you’re not using characters from canon very often.

Though I’m excited and engaged by RP in WoW, I admittedly miss raiding quite a bit. There’s something about the fervor of downing a boss for the first time after hours and hours of attempts—hell, weeks of attempts! It gets the blood flowing. I remember how I felt after downing Sarth + 3D (the hardest raid boss at the beginning of the Wrath expansion) and it was amazing. I loved it, it’s like a runner’s high but for gamers. Gamer’s high?

Anyway, I just don’t have the time to commit to raiding anymore. As much as I miss it, it isn’t a priority. There’s so much else I’d like to be doing! I have a list of hobbies about a mile long, so I’m okay with being a non-raider for now. 😉

Previous Post Next Post

6 Comments

• Reply Elisa April 18, 2012 at 10:32 am

Erica,

It’s great to see another female designer who loves gaming! I was very into hardcore raiding about 5-6 years ago and you definitely do get a high, I have to admit! It’s a great feeling to work with a whole team and be organized and be able to follow directions to accomplish something you work hard at.

I’ve been extremely casual – as in logging in for a couple days throughout the month but not doing much, but it’s nice to see you’re getting into it, but more for the RP side, which I think is awesome, but never knew people in WoW were actually serious about it. Do you not raid at all as an RPer? Even with other things to do, I think you could easily bang out a small raid in a couple hours if that falls within the RP guidelines.

What is it like? Are you literally in character at all times when logged in? Do you refer to WoW Lore? I’m a lore nerd, so that would be freakin’ sweet!

• Reply Erica April 18, 2012 at 10:46 am

When I was raiding I was also RPing on the side, but the raids I did were never in character—that would be kind of hard to explain the whole dying-and-coming-back thing, you know? Although I have talked about them or written about them as though my character participated.

Explaining RP in WoW would take a whole blog post, I think, but I’ll try to give you the gist of it here: There are servers in WoW that are designated for RP players. I’m on one of them, called Wyrmrest Accord, but I’ve been on two others. Whether or not you’re in character all the time (called “total immersion”) is totally up to the player. I’m about half-and-half. When I’m in a dungeon or raid, I am OOC, or “out of character.” When I’m in a city in my battle gear, I’m probably also OOC (especially if I’m running between the Auction House and the Bank). However, if I’m ever not in battle gear (RP players usually collect gear to wear when they’re not fighting so that their characters have outfits) or if you just see me talking to someone, I’m definitely IC, which is “in character.”

Players on RP servers download add ons for their game which allow them to add things like last names, custom titles, physical descriptions, an RP “flag” (which basically says whether or not you’re in our out of character) and other such things. So if you also download this type of add-on, you can see other people’s bios and such! It’s pretty cool, and a very helpful way to figure out (1) who is a role-player and (2) who’s in character based on what their flag is set to. The one I use is called “MyRoleplay” and is available on WoWInterface: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info4990-MyRolePlay.html

When roleplaying, yes, you absolutely refer to lore! The idea is to work your character’s life and experiences into the world, so lore is absolutely a big deal. In fact, it’s frowned upon to go against lore.

• Reply Carolynne April 19, 2012 at 9:19 am

Honestly, Ive never played the game, but my husband is addicted. He loves it. And there are millions of people who play it so it must be good. I am the kind of person who would rather watch movie then play a game.

• Reply Erica April 19, 2012 at 10:44 am

You should try the game! It’s absolutely free now up to level 20. I’m sure your husband would LOVE to play with you!

• Reply Miranda April 19, 2012 at 10:13 am

It’s great to not only be back myself but to see so many others coming back as well! I fought the urge for far too long haha
    It would be very interesting to read about why you quit, m’dear.

• Reply Erica April 19, 2012 at 10:44 am

Okay, I’ll work on that post. It’s gonna be long and riddled with drama llamas.